October 12, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: Worldly Wealth and the Kingdom of God
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on October 14 “Worldly Wealth and the Kingdom of God” (Mark 10:13–22). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The Blindness of the Disciples (Mark 10:13)
- The Correction of Jesus (Mark 10:14–16)
- The Blindness of the Rich Young Ruler (Mark 10:17, 20, 22) and Correction of Jesus (Mark 10:18–19, 21)
Main Point: Whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a child will not enter it.
- How does Mark 10:13–16 relate to Mark 9 and Mark 10:1–12?
- How does Mark 10:13–16 relate to Mark 10:17–22?
- Where was the rich young ruler blind? What was wrong with his assessment of himself?
- By way of contrast to this text’s Rich Young Ruler, how is Jesus the Greater Rich Young Ruler?
- When it comes to money, what is the biggest temptation for you? Do you love the status it brings or the security it brings?
- Pray about where you are on the journey of generosity. How can you take the next step on this journey?
- What can you take from this sermon and share with others in your life?
Pray for a grace to receive the grace of Christ’s gift and to have him become your security instead of money.