December 7, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: Why Christ Came
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on December 9, “Why Christ Came” (Mark 10:35–45). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The Dysfunction of the Disciples (Mark 10:35–41)
- The Question of James and John (Mark 10:35–37)
- The Conversation With Jesus (Mark 10:38–40)
- The Conflict Among the Disciples (Mark 10:41)
- The Counsel of Christ (Mark 10:42–45)
- The Call to Serve (Mark 10:42–44)
- The Reason to Serve (Mark 10:45)
Main Point: We serve because he first served us.
- Why did Jesus say that James and John didn’t really understand what they were asking? What were they missing?
- Why were the rest of the disciples indignant with James and John?
- What is the difference between how the world understands greatness and how people in the kingdom understand greatness?
- What does it mean that Jesus came to “give his life as a ransom”?
- What is the relationship between Mark 10:42–44 and Mark 10:45? In other words, what is the relationship between our serving and Jesus’ serving?
- Have you ever thought of love as something you can’t do in a truly worshipful way (not idolatrous) apart from Christ?
- What part of the message spoke to you in what you are facing now and where you are at today?
- What things from the sermon stood out to you that you can share with an unbelieving friend? What things from the sermon would you share with a believing friend?
Pray for a grace to grow in serving as our eyes are lovingly fixed on Jesus and how he first served us.