June 2, 2017
Sermon Discussion Questions: When Does Fasting Dishonor God?
- The Challenge (v. 18)
- The Response (vv. 19–22)
Main Point: Fasting dishonors God when it is disconnected from the coming of Christ.
- Why was it inappropriate for the disciples of Jesus to fast? Use Jesus’ example of the wedding in your answer.
- Why did Jesus give the examples of patching a garment and putting wine in a wineskin? What did those pictures represent in terms of the religious tradition of the Jews and the coming of Christ?
- Why was it an explosive metaphor for Jesus to speak of himself as the bridegroom? When would the bridegroom be taken away?
- Are there traditions or practices that we add to the Bible that are disconnected from Christ? What are some examples you have heard about—or even practiced?
- In your everyday life, what difference does it make to see Jesus as the bridegroom and you as the bride?
- What is “Christian hedonism”? Does it describe the way that you picture your relationship with Christ?
- In this message, what truths landed upon you that you need to share with others in your life? How can you share these truths? Devote it to prayer!
Pray for a grace to rejoice in the Lord as you wait with steadfast hope for the wedding feast to come and the removal of all the reasons for fasting.