August 24, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: When a Spouse Is Sent Away
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on August 25/26 “When a Spouse Is Sent Away” (Mark 10:1–12). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The Test (Mark 10:1–2)
- The Answer (Mark 10:3–9)
- The Charge (Mark 10:10–12)
Main Point: Don’t tear apart what God has joined, and don’t join together what God has kept separate.
- How are the Pharisees trying to trap Jesus?
- How did Jesus avoid the trap and turn it around so that the Pharisees got caught in their own snare (i.e., the blame got put on them)?
- In his answer to the Pharisees, why does Jesus go back to Genesis 2:24?
- How does Jesus’ view of marriage affect your view of marriage and also your experience of it or pursuit of it?
In earthly marriages, how can we better live out the picture of the heavenly marriage of Christ and the church?
- If married, talk about practical things you could change. If single, talk about things married couples could do to better align with the heavenly reality. How does Christ’s marriage to his church affect single believers?
- What can you take from this sermon and share with others in your life?
Pray for a grace to receive Jesus’ passion for God’s design in marriage and the gravity of the sanctity of marriage.