June 28, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: True Greatness
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on June 30/July 1, “True Greatness” (Mark 9:30–37). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- Death and Resurrection (Mark 9:30–31)
- Disciples’ Blindness (Mark 9:32–34)
- Addressing the Blindness (Mark 9:35–37)
Main Point: True greatness is total servanthood.
- How does Mark 9:32 tie back to the previous text (Mark 9:14–29) about the dad of the demon-possessed boy and the failure of the disciples?
- What else did the disciples do to show that they were still blind to the meaning of the cross? What were they talking about “on the way”?
- How did Jesus address the disciples’ blindness? How does he teach them about true greatness?
- How is Jesus the perfect expression of true greatness?
- How can Bethlehem as a whole grow as a welcoming church? What can you personally do in order to make Bethlehem a more welcoming, big-hearted, open-armed church?
- Have there been moments in your life when you sounded more like Michael Jordan’s Hall of Fame speech? Have there been moments in your life when you sounded more like David Robinson’s Hall of Fame speech?
- What can you take from this message and share with others in your life? Are there people in your life that you need to open your arms to?
Pray for a grace to be a humble, big-hearted, wide-armed, welcoming people.