July 21, 2017
Sermon Discussion Questions: The True Family of God
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on July 22/23, “The True Family of God” (Mark 3:20–35). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The Response to Jesus from Jesus’ Family (vv. 20–21)
- The Response to Jesus from the Scribes (v. 22)
- The Response of Jesus to the Scribes (vv. 23–30)
- The Response of Jesus to His Family (vv. 31–35)
Main Point: Jesus is the Mighty God, the Lord of all—he binds and cannot be bound. True disciples sit at Jesus’ feet and surrender all claims upon their lives. They confess Jesus is Lord and thus he has a claim over them; they do not have a claim over him.
- How did Jesus’ family respond to him? How did Jesus respond to them?
- How did the religious leaders respond to Jesus? How did Jesus respond to them?
- How does the response of Jesus inform our picture of what discipleship looks like today?
- Are there areas in your life where you feel the pressure of family or friends to minimize or even deny the Lordship of Christ over your life?
- Are there areas in your life where you are minimizing or dismissing Jesus’ words or authority—places that are not yet surrendered to him?
- What truths about discipleship landed on you? Are you being personally discipled? Are you personally discipling others?
- In this message, what truths landed on you that you need to share with others in your life? How can you share these truths? Devote it to prayer!
Pray for a discipleship grace to sit at Jesus’ feet, follow him as Lord, and rejoice that through him we belong to the eternal family of God.