June 1, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: The Transfiguration
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on June 2/3, “The Transfiguration” (Mark 9:1–8). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
Main Point: The Transfiguration teaches that we can trust what Jesus says.
- Why do some say that Mark 9:1 proves that you cannot trust the Bible?
- What is the argument for saying that Mark 9:1 is talking about the Transfiguration, not the Second Coming?
- How is what happened on the Mount of Transfiguration both like and unlike what happened on Mount Sinai?
- Why is Peter’s proposal so wrong (Mark 9:5–6)? How does the Father’s response function as a rebuke (Mark 9:7–8)?
- How does the whole passage (Mark 9:1–8) prove that you can trust the Bible (specifically, the words of Jesus)?
- Are there areas in your life where you struggle to trust God’s word? How have you fought those doubts?
- Does the Second Coming of Christ factor into your daily life? Is it “out of sight, out of mind”? How can you live in the light of the Second Coming more?
Our prayer can be best captured by the words of the song: “Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus, O for grace to trust him more.”