September 1, 2017
Sermon Discussion Questions: The Stilling of the Storm
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on September 2/3, “The Stilling of the Storm” (Mark 4:35–41). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The Need for Faith (vv. 35–38)
- The Model of Faith (v. 38)
- The Object of Faith (vv. 39–41)
Main Point: The stilling of the storm reveals that Jesus is the Son of God.
- How does the story show that Jesus is the model of faith?
- How does the story show that Jesus is the object of faith?
- How does the whole of the Gospel of Mark answer the question of the disciples as to whether Jesus really cares about our suffering?
- What does it mean to say that suffering is not the point, but a pointer?
- How does the gift of the body of Christ change suffering?
- Do you feel like you are currently in the storm of suffering? Commit that you will not remain in the storm alone, but will bring others into the boat with you. Invite someone else into the boat with you and ask for prayer. How will this sermon change the way that you will ask for prayer?
- If you are not currently experiencing suffering, do you know anyone who is? How will this sermon change the way that you pray for them? How can you step into the boat with them and be a pointer to Jesus?
Pray for a grace to see and savor the glory of Christ in our suffering and point others to him.
Subscribe to the Updates Blog.