June 8, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: The Son of Man Must Suffer Many Things
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on June 9/10, “The Son of Man Must Suffer Many Things” (Mark 9:9–13). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
This process of connecting the dots has three phases.
- The Command of Silence (v. 9)
- The Problem of Blindness (v. 10)
- The Correction of Blindness (vv. 11–13)
Main Point: Jesus helps us to connect the dots in Scripture that the Son of Man must suffer.
- Why is it significant that Jesus gives a timeframe for his command of silence for the first time in verse 9?
- How do the disciples show their blindness to his death and resurrection in verse 10?
- How does Jesus connect the dots in Scripture between the Son of Man, the suffering Servant, and even the coming and suffering of Elijah in verses 11–13?
- How is the suffering of Jesus and the suffering of his followers different? How do both fit into the same plan and purpose of God?
- Are you actively sharing your faith and proclaiming the gospel of Christ? Are there areas in your life where sharing your faith brings suffering into your life? Are you putting yourself in positions where you have to depend upon the Holy Spirit for what you will be given to say in certain situations?
- Are there places in your life where you can see God using suffering to draw you closer to Christ?
- What can you take from this message and share with others in your life?
Pray for a grace to connect the dots in Scripture on suffering so that we will live more fully within God’s plan and purpose for it in our lives.