June 9, 2017
Sermon Discussion Questions: The Son of Man Is Lord of the Sabbath
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on June 10/11, “The Son of Man Is Lord of the Sabbath” (Mark 2:23–28). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The Action (v. 23)
- The Challenge (v. 24)
- The Response (vv. 25–28)
Main Point: The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.
- Why did the Pharisees charge the disciples with unlawful activity? What rule were they breaking—God’s law or their law? Why did the Pharisees add that extra fence to God’s law?
- Why did Jesus bring up the example of David and his companions doing something unlawful? What does it mean that Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath?
- Why do Christians gather for worship on the first day of the week and not on the seventh day?
- How do you celebrate the Lord’s Day? How is it a day of communion with Christ?
- Assess where you are in terms of both physical rest and the deeper rest for your souls found in Christ. How can you walk in greater rest in the days to come? What tends to interrupt your rest in Christ?
- What truths landed on you in this message that you need to share with others in your life? How can you share these truths? Devote this to prayer!
Pray for a grace to come to Christ and enjoy deep rest for your souls.