July 25, 2019
Sermon Discussion Questions: The Second Coming
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on July 28, “The Second Coming” (Mark 13:3–27). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
Main Point: We must be prepared for the Second Coming of Christ.
- The Question (Mark 13:3–4)
- The Answer (Mark 13:5–27)
Jesus gives a three-part answer to the disciples’ question:
a. Persecution and Perseverance (vv. 5–13)
b. The Abomination and the Tribulation (vv. 14–23)
c. The Second Coming and the Gathering (vv. 24–27)
- What are the three different ways to read Mark 13:2–27?
- How does the first way of reading this text interpret the abomination, the tribulation, and other details?
- How does the second way of reading this text interpret the abomination, the tribulation, and other details?
- How does the third way of reading this text interpret the abomination, the tribulation, and other details?
- Why does the Second Coming always seem to stress the glory of Jesus’ coming?
- Why is the Second Coming essential for our hope and patient endurance?
- Does the Second Coming of Jesus make a real impact on your everyday life?
- What are some of the ways that you can grow in regard to living in the light of eternity and the blessed hope of the Second Coming?
- If we are waiting for the Second Coming while some have never heard of Jesus’ first coming, then what are you personally doing to proclaim the gospel to others?
Are you awake to the Second Coming of Christ and the glory to come? Pray that we would walk by faith and have hope and patient endurance.