November 3, 2017
Sermon Discussion Questions: The Preaching of the Kingdom and the Signs of the Kingdom
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on November 4/5, “The Preaching of the Kingdom and the Signs of the Kingdom” (Mark 6:7–13). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The Call (v. 7)
- The Charge (vv. 8–11)
- The Conclusion (vv. 12–13)
Main Point: The preaching of the Kingdom and the signs of the Kingdom belong together.
- Why did Jesus send out the disciples two by two?
- Why did Jesus tell them to have a staff, a tunic, a belt, and sandals? What did it symbolically mean to wipe the dust off their feet?
- When it comes to the preaching of the Kingdom and the signs of the Kingdom, what are the “two ditches” to avoid?
- Do you have any experience witnessing the signs of the Kingdom (casting out demons or healing)? Share stories of seeing Jesus authority and power on display in this way.
- How does the Lord’s Supper function as a comfort and as a warning? Which one (comfort or warning) did you feel most this weekend in Communion? How did you respond or how are you responding?
- Martin Luther said that the Christian life is not a singular act of repentance, but a life of repentance. What does ongoing repentance look like in your life?
Pray for a grace to bring together the preaching of the Kingdom and the signs of the Kingdom personally and corporately at Bethlehem.