January 12, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: The Mountaintop
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on January 13/14, “The Mountaintop” (Revelation 5:1–10). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The Question (vv. 1–4)
- The Answer (vv. 5–7)
- The Response (vv. 8–10)
Main Point: Jesus the Redeemer is worthy of worship for ransoming a multi-ethnic people for God.
- What is the scroll in verse 1? If no one was found worthy to open it, why would it matter? In other words, what is at stake and why is John weeping?
- How is Jesus portrayed as the fulfillment of God’s promises concerning the Messiah?
- According to verses 9–10, why is Jesus worthy to open the scroll and its seals?
- What is the difference between what we see in our world today (and at Bethlehem) and what we see on the heavenly mountaintop in Revelation 5?
- Describe your experience with ethnic harmony—both inside and outside Bethlehem. When has the beauty of Revelation 5 been reflected, and when has the picture been painfully distorted?
- What things do you think you need to do personally in order to move forward in the vision of ethnic harmony at Bethlehem? What things can we do corporately?
Pray for a grace to put the future vision of ethnic harmony on the heavenly mountaintop into practice at Bethlehem today.