November 30, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: The End of the Road
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on December 2, “The End of the Road” (Mark 10:32–34). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The Road (Mark 10:32a)
- The Response (Mark 10:32b)
- The End of the Road (Mark 10:32–34)
Main Point: Jesus is leading the way on the road to his death and resurrection.
- In verse 32, why does Mark take time to highlight the fact that Jesus is leading the way on the road to Jerusalem? Why is it significant?
- In verse 32, why does Mark take time to highlight the response of the disciples? Why are they amazed and afraid by what Jesus is doing?
- What are some of the things that will happen to Jesus in Jerusalem? What is the significance of these things for the overall gospel story?
- How does the beginning of the story (the things that happened to Jesus at birth) connect to what Jesus says will happen at the end of the story (his rejection, death, and resurrection)?
- Why can’t the message of advent (i.e., the Christmas story) be separated from the message of the cross and resurrection? What can happen if we separate or isolate these scenes from the unified gospel story?
- What part of the gospel message spoke to you in what you are facing and where you are at today?
- What things from the sermon stood out to you that you can share with an unbelieving friend? What things from the sermon would you share with a believing friend?
Pray for a grace to see what Jesus did for us and our salvation. Pray for a grace to receive it and celebrate it and share it this advent season.