August 17, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: The Doctrine of Hell
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on August 18/19, “The Doctrine of Hell” (Mark 9:42–50, Part 2). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
The suffering of hell is ...
Main Point: Don’t exclude a fellow believer and cause him or her to stumble, because eternal punishment is at stake.
The sermon will summarize and re-examine each point from the July 28/29 sermon, and we will apply them and answer potential objections.
- How does modern America view the doctrine of hell? How is that view different from the view of Jesus?
- The sermon used three words to describe the suffering of hell. What were these words? How can they be seen in the text of Mark?
- What are the three most common objections to hell, which were addressed in the sermon? If a friend or family member stated these objections, how could we respond to each one?
- Has the doctrine of hell factored into your understanding of the character of God? How can this doctrine help strengthen your relationship with God and your adoration of his attributes?
- Has the doctrine of hell factored into your understanding of the just nature of God’s forgiveness? How can this doctrine reignite your thanksgiving for such a great salvation? How can this doctrine reignite a sense of urgency to reach the lost?
- What can you take from this message and share with others in your life?
Pray for a grace to soar in gospel thanksgiving by seeing afresh what we are saved from, what we are saved by, and what we are saved for.