October 19, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: The Ditches of Discipleship
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on October 21, “The Ditches of Discipleship” (Mark 10:17–31). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- How Much You Have to Give Up (Mark 10:17–27)
- How Much You Have Given Up (Mark 10:28)
- How Much You Gain (Mark 10:29–31)
Main Point: The dominant note of discipleship is what we gain, not what we give up. We deny ourselves lesser things in order to gain greater things.
Do you see the “ditches” of discipleship? You may despair about how much you have to give up (self-pity) or you may boast about how much you have given up (self-exalting). The main lane of discipleship is delighting in how much you gain (Christ-exalting).
- How does this text highlight the “ditches” of discipleship? Which ditch does the Rich Young Ruler represent in his rejection of discipleship? Which ditch does Peter represent in his boasting about his discipleship?
- In Mark 10:29–31, how does Jesus’ response show us what the dominant note of discipleship should be?
- How would you describe the difference between the kingdom of God and the kingdom of self? How does our use of money demonstrate our allegiance to one or the other?
- Are you more likely to focus on what you need to give up and haven’t or on what you have already given up? How can you walk in the truth that being a disciple is all about what we gain in Christ as our greatest joy? In your understanding of the joy of the kingdom, what part does the greater number of mothers, brothers, and sisters play?
- I almost asked, “Are there ways in which you spend your money to buy an image or build a kingdom?” But we all do this at times. So, instead I’m asking, “What are the ways in which you spend your money to buy an image or build a kingdom?”
- What are some practical ways that you can use money to invest in spreading the fame of Christ’s name and advancing his kingdom?
- What can you take from this message and share with others in your life?
Pray for a grace to have a spirit of surrender with money. Pray that we might use God’s money for God’s glory to advance God’s kingdom.