April 5, 2019
Sermon Discussion Questions: The Cornerstone
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on April 7, “The Cornerstone” (Mark 12:1–12). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The Parable (Mark 12:1–9)
- The Prophecy (Mark 12:10–11)
- The Fulfillment (Mark 12:12)
Main Point: Jesus is the Rejected Stone who becomes the Cornerstone of the New Temple.
- Considering the rejection both encountered, what is the difference between Jesus and Dumbo?
- In Isaiah 5, what does the story of the vineyard stress?
- In the parable, how do the three parts of dialogue communicate important truths?
- Why is the quotation of Psalm 118 so significant?
- What does verse 12 really add to the story?
- Reflect on situations in which you need to show patience to others. Now reflect on all the ways that this story and this sermon helps you do so.
- How do some of the same dynamics of the parable show up in our world today? How do you respond to them?
- How are you responding to the patience of God? Do you see the delay of Christ’s coming and the delay of judgment as a weakness or as a kindness?
Pray for a grace to repent and bear fruit as we await the Second Coming and the final judgment.