September 22, 2017
Sermon Discussion Questions: Stronger (Part 2)
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on September 23/24, “Stronger, Part 2” (Mark 5:21–43). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- Jairus’ Daughter: Part One (vv. 21–24)
- The Woman in the Middle (vv. 24–34)
- Jairus’ Daughter: Part Two (vv. 35–43)
Main Point: Jesus is stronger—he can do what no one else can do.
- What are the three parts of the “sandwich” in this text? Why does Mark link these two stories together?
- How does the story connect with the rest of chapter 5? How does Mark help us see the point he stresses through his editorial comments?
- How does Jesus show his power to cleanse and his power over death in the first half of the book of Mark? How does he do it in the second half of the book of Mark?
- How does the gospel give the greatest criticism and the greatest affirmation? How does that truth affect the way you relate to others?
- The mercy of Jesus makes us part of the family of God! How does this truth change us so that we want to build others up in our corporate identity in Christ?
- Why could it be a blessing to be broken?
Pray for a grace to see and savor our strong Savior!