May 11, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: Spiritual Blindness
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on May 12/13, “Spiritual Blindness” (Mark 8:22–38). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- Partial Physical Blindness (Mark 8:22–26)
- Partial Spiritual Blindness (Mark 8:27–33)
- Addressing the Blindness (Mark 8:34–38)
Main Point: Jesus is a King, but he is a King who carries a cross. If we follow him, we must carry a cross too.
- Why does Jesus perform a two-stage healing in verses 22–26? Did he not get it right the first time, or is there more going on here than meets the eye?
- When Peter confesses that Jesus is the Christ, what does he see or understand about the meaning of “Messiah”? What does the next story (vv. 31–33) reveal that Peter does not understand about the Messiah?
- How does Jesus define discipleship in verses 34–38?
- How does your life fit the description of discipleship in verses 34–38?
- Are there areas in your life where you are tempted to be ashamed of Jesus and his words? Are there places in your life where you need to say “no” to yourself so that you can say “yes” to Jesus?
Pray for a grace to deny ourselves, take up our cross, and follow him.