August 16, 2019
Sermon Discussion Questions: Sovereign Over All
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on August 18, “Sovereign Over All” (Mark 14:12–16). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- Question (Mark 14:12)
- Answer (Mark 14:13–15)
- Fulfillment (Mark 14:16)
Main Point: When darkness seems to close in all around him, Jesus remains in control.
- What are the similarities between this passage and Mark 11:1–6? Why does Mark put this passage in between the plot to betray Jesus and Jesus’ prediction of the plot against him? In other words, does this text merely prepare us for the next passage?
- What doctrine does this passage declare?
- Is God’s sovereign control over all things true merely in the case of Jesus or in every case? What other Scriptures would you turn to in order to defend your answer?
- How does the sin of trying to take control over your life, over circumstances, etc., attempt to secure peace of mind?
- How does the incarnation and atonement of Jesus help us in our suffering?
- Where do you struggle with the sin of taking control over things that belong in God’s control?
- How can you fixate less on what is unknown and focus more on what is gloriously known?
- What part of this message do you need to share with someone else this week?
Pray for a grace to die to the sin of taking control, and pray for a grace to trust God more!