January 11, 2019
Sermon Discussion Questions: Praying the Promises
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on January 13, “Praying the Promises” (Exodus 33:12–23). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
Main Point: Prayer brings God’s promises into the present.
- How do verses 12–13 demonstrate that prayer brings the promises of God into the present?
- How does this truth change the way we read the Bible?
- How does this truth change the way we talk to ourselves?
- How does this truth change the way we pray?
- Do God’s people ever feel a sense of God’s absence? What should you do when that happens?
- What are some next steps that you need to take in your prayer life?
- Describe where you are at in your journey of prayer and learning to walk with God. What parts of the sermon spoke to where you are? How can people come alongside of you today and pray with you in a 2 Corinthians 1:11 way? “You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many” (2 Corinthians 1:11).
- How can the gospel and the word of God become a more central part of your prayer life in 2019?
Pray for a grace to bring yourself (all your hurts, joys, doubts, fears) and God’s promises into God’s presence in prayer.