April 3, 2020
Sermon Discussion Questions: Out of the Mouth of Children
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on April 5, “Out of the Mouth of Children” (Matthew 21:14–17). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
Main Point: Jesus is the God of Psalm 8 who has the greatest name and deserves the highest praise.
- Jesus Heals (Matthew 21:14)
- What He Does
- Where He Heals
- Who He Heals
- Why it Matters
- People Respond (Matthew 21:15–16)
- The Children Praise (v. 15)
- The Leaders Rage (v. 16)
- Jesus Rebukes (Matthew 21:16–17)
- “Have You Never Read?”
- The Fulfillment of Psalm 8
- What is the significance of Matthew 21:14? What does it claim for the identity of Jesus?
- How do the children respond to this sign?
- How do the religious leaders respond to the healing and the children’s response? Why do they respond that way?
- How does Jesus use Scripture in his response to the leaders? Why does it silence them so definitively?
- Have you experienced the power of praise in contexts of chaos, confusion, or darkness?
- How can you prepare yourself to be a person of praise in the midst of this pandemic?
- What part of this message do you need to share with someone this week? Is there someone you need to exhort?
Pray for the grace to come to Jesus in your weakness and be a person of praise in the midst of this pandemic.