September 28, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: Leaders and Life Together
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on September 30 “Leaders and Life Together” (1 Timothy 3:1–7). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- Interpreting “the husband of one wife” in 1 Timothy 3:2
- Discussing the recommended changes to Bethlehem’s Relational Commitments
- Answering some frequently asked questions from this sermon series
- What is the overall umbrella requirement for elders? How do the rest of the qualifications relate to that overarching requirement?
- What are the two main ways to read the phrase “husband of one wife”?
- Why do the elders recommend removing the relational commitment that states that people who are remarried after divorce forgo positions of leadership at Bethlehem called elder or deacon?
- Why do the elders recommend changing the language for the relational commitments on biblical grounds for divorce?
- What questions do you still have about divorce and remarriage that have not been adequately answered in this series?
- How does divorce lead to identity theft? How does the gospel provide a gospel identity?
- What can you do in your sphere of influence at Bethlehem to strengthen marriages?
Pray for a grace to pursue greater clarity on where we stand as a church on divorce and remarriage and where you stand personally on the issue of divorce and remarriage.