November 1, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: Jesus + Nothing = Everything
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the Global Focus sermon on November 4, “Jesus + Nothing = Everything” (Galatians 5:2–4). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
Main Point: Adding something to Christ means being severed from Christ.
- Christ will be of no advantage to you (if you accept circumcision) – Galatians 5:2
- You are obligated to keep the whole law (if you accept circumcision) – Galatians 5:3
- You are severed from Christ and have fallen from grace (if you attempt to be justified by law) – Galatians 5:4
- What were the false teachers telling the Galatians about why they needed to be circumcised?
- What does Paul say will happen if the Galatians get circumcised?
- Why does syncretism (like mixing together Jewish religion and the gospel) turn the message of salvation from salvation by grace to salvation by law or works?
- Why does Paul have Timothy circumcised in Acts 16, but refuse to have Titus circumcised in Galatians 2?
- Do you ever struggle to keep the message of the gospel pure? In your life, what types of “law” have the potential to contaminate the gospel?
- What things from American culture sometimes get mixed in with the gospel?
- How does the holy ambition to know Christ fit with the holy ambition to make him known? Do you have these two ambitions in your life? What part is Christ calling you to play in God’s global mission?
Pray for a grace to hold fast to the ferocious trust we have in Jesus alone to save us. Pray for a grace to avoid adding things to Christ and thus becoming severed from Christ. Pray for a grace to know what part we are to play in God’s plan to redeem a people from every tribe and tongue and people and nation.