May 19, 2017
Sermon Discussion Questions: I Came Not to Call the Righteous, but Sinners
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on May 20/21, “I Came Not to Call the Righteous, but Sinners” (Mark 2:13-17). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- Surprising Action (v. 15)
- Direct Challenge (v. 16)
- Silencing Response (v. 17)
Main Point: Jesus came to call sinners (people who know they need a Savior).
- Why did Levi become a follower of Jesus? What is the difference between a disciple and someone in the crowd (who both hear Jesus’ teaching)?
- What did Levi do after becoming a follower of Jesus? How did Jesus respond? Why were these actions so surprising and so scandalous?
- Why did the scribes reject Jesus? Why did they identify themselves as being in a certain category?
- How do you see yourself? Are you inside the kingdom or outside? Why?
- How does the way you see Jesus and yourself impact the way you view others? Where does our tendency to look down on others come from? Why is it so tempting to think we are better than others?
- In this message, what truths landed upon you that you need to share with others in your life? How can you share these truths? Devote it to prayer!
Pray for a grace to celebrate what Jesus has done to save you and call you to eternal life.