December 21, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: Good News of Great Joy for All the People
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on December 23, “Good News of Great Joy for All the People” (Luke 2:8–12). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- Good News
- Of Great Joy
- For All the People
Main Point: The message of Christmas is a message of “good news of great joy for all the people.”
- What part do angels play in the Christmas story? What is the difference between the way angels are portrayed in the Bible and the way they are portrayed in art?
- What is the main difference between world religions and Christianity?
- What is the difference between the world’s version of joy and the Bible’s version of “great joy”?
- Jesus addresses the curse that came into the world because of sin—how does he address it at Christmas, at the Cross, and at the Second Coming?
- What is the difference between the worship of the redeemed and the worship of angels?
- Does your understanding of Christianity make it just like another religion or do you see and feel and love the distinctive difference?
- Describe your thoughts and reflections on how the gospel is a message designed to bring us “great joy.” Do you have this great joy? Do you worship with great joy as a redeemed worshipper—even more than an angelic worshipper?
- What things from the sermon stood out to you that you can share with an unbelieving friend? What things from the sermon would you share with a believing friend?
Pray for a grace to worship Christ as the redeemed who have received the gospel and rejoice with great joy!