October 4, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: Gender Roles in Marriage
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on October 7 “Gender Roles in Marriage” (1 Peter 3:1–7). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- God’s Call Upon the Wife (1 Peter 3:1–6)
- Be Submissive (1 Peter 3:1–2)
- Focus on Inner Beauty More than Outer Beauty (1 Peter 3:3–4)
- Rationale: Because This is Your Birthright (1 Peter 3:5–6)
- God’s Call Upon the Husband (1 Peter 3:7)
- Live With Wives According to Knowledge (what)
- Showing Honor to the Woman as a Weaker Vessel (how)
- Because They are Fellow Heirs of the Grace of Life (why)
- Warning: If You Don’t, Your Prayers Will be Hindered
- What does Peter say about submission? Should a believing wife submit to an unbelieving husband? (1 Peter 3:1–2)
- What does Peter say about external beauty and internal beauty? (1 Peter 3:3–4)
- Why does Peter bring up the lineage of faith of “holy women who hoped in God”? What do they have to teach us about submission? (1 Peter 3:5–6)
- In verse 7, what is the central call upon a husband’s life? How does he accomplish it?
- Why is it important for a husband to live with his wife in an understanding way?
- Name three things that submission is not.
- What is the difference between humble headship and hyper-headship?
- What is the most practical takeaway from this sermon about marriage that you need to apply immediately?
- How is the biblical vision of marriage different than worldly counterparts?
- What are some ways that you can make your marriage more God-centered and Christ-exalting?
Pray for a grace to live out gender roles in submission to the Lordship of Christ.