March 29, 2019
Sermon Discussion Questions: Game of Questions
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on March 31, “Game of Questions” (Mark 11:27–31). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The question (Mark 11:27–28)
- Jesus’ question (Mark 11:29–30)
- Their response (Mark 11:31–33a)
- Jesus’ response (Mark 11:33b)
Main Point: Jesus will not welcome dishonest engagement (Jesus hates hypocrisy).
- What is the difference between forgiveness and trust?
- How do the Jewish leaders intend to trap Jesus with their question?
- How does Jesus prove that the question from the Jewish leaders is dishonest?
- What is the difference between the way that Jesus uses his authority and way the religious leaders use their authority?
- Reflect on how you use questions. Do you use questions for the sake of truth and love, or for power and control? How do others use questions in your life? Are there dishonest question “askers” in your life? Do you need help?
- How can you use the authority God has given you in different spheres to love and serve others instead of controlling them or having them serve you?
- How does the hope of the Second Coming make an impact your life today? Does the fact that Jesus will bring perfect justice fill you with hope, or does it feel too far away to help you in your daily life?
Pray for a grace to have love govern the way we use questions.