April 18, 2019
Sermon Discussion Questions: Everlasting
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on April 21, “Everlasting” (Mark 12:18–27). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- Question (Mark 12:18–23)
- Background (v. 18)
- Scenario (vv. 19–22)
- Question (v. 23)
- Response (Mark 12:24–27)
- What is wrong with the Sadducees (v. 24)
- Why they are wrong about marriage (v. 25)
- Why they are wrong about the resurrection (vv. 26–27)
Main Point: If we fail to know the word of God and the power of God, we will get eternity wrong.
- Why is the background on the Sadducees important in verse 18?
- In verses 19–22, why is the scenario that they pose far-fetched?
- Why do they think they have Jesus trapped with the ultimate theological thought teaser?
- How does Jesus turn the tables on the Sadducees so that they go from being the judges to being the judged?
- In terms of what is wrong with the Sadducees, what does Jesus identify?
- What is wrong with their view of marriage? How does their view of marriage fail to come to grips with the power of God?
- What is wrong with their view of the resurrection? How does their denial of the resurrection fail to come to grips with the word of God?
- What are the two things that separate us from eternal life? How does Jesus deal with these things? How does your heart respond to those answers?
- Why is it important to look at death the way Jesus looks at death?
- Are you at the point where you need to be enchanted with Jesus or re-enchanted with Jesus? Plead with God for that enchantment in Christ!
Pray for a grace to be re-enchanted with the resurrected Jesus.