May 31, 2019
Sermon Discussion Questions - Devotion to God: The Fake and the True
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on June 2, “Devotion to God: The Fake and the True” (Mark 12:38–44). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- Fake Devotion (Mark 12:38–40)
- Genuine Devotion (Mark 12:41–44)
Main Point: Real Christianity is feeding on God by faith. Fake Christianity is using God to feed on others.
- What does Jesus tell us we need to see about the scribes?
- How did the scribes devour widows’ houses?
- What does Jesus want us to see in the contrast between the scribes and the poor widow?
- What does it mean to feed on God by faith as opposed to feeding on others like a parasite?
- In what ways are you tempted to feed on other people to gain your identity?
- What steps can you take to be more rooted and grounded in your identity in Christ?
Pray for a grace to feed on God in Christ by faith and to strengthen your identity in Christ.