October 10, 2019
Sermon Discussion Questions: Christ Crucified
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on October 13, “Christ Crucified” (Mark 15:21–39). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The Reality of the Cross (Mark 15:21–37)
- The Result of the Cross (Mark 15:38)
- The Response to the Cross (Mark 15:39)
Main Point: Those who see what the cross is and what it accomplished come to confess that Jesus is the Son of God who has come to save sinners.
- How did it fulfill Scripture ...
- For Jesus to be offered sour wine? (Mark 15:23)
- When the soldiers divided Jesus’ garments and cast lots for them? (Mark 15:24)
- For Jesus to be crucified next to two criminals? (Mark 15:27)
- In Mark 15:29–30, how do those who are passing by (1) fulfill Scripture and (2) speak more truth than they know?
- In Mark 15:31–32, how do the chief priests and scribes speak more truth than they know?
- Why is it amazing that Jesus stayed on the cross as the crucified criminals mocked him? How does Jesus demonstrate the truth of 1 Timothy 1:16 in this situation?
- Why is it significant that Jesus is forsaken by the Father? (Mark 15:34)
- Why is it significant that the veil of the temple was torn in two? (Mark 15:38) Where is the only other place that Mark uses the word for “torn”?
- What did the centurion see about the way that Jesus breathed his last that provoked deeper pondering?
- Are you discouraged by all the ways that people mock, slander, and slight the worth of Jesus today? In the midst of that mockery, what hope does this text give you personally?
- The question “Why have you forsaken me?” can only be answered rightly by the children of God. They know that God forsook the sinless Son on the cross so that he could accept sinners like us as sons and daughters of God. Have you received this truth and embraced it? How does it apply to you in your daily life? Explain!
- How does the future and the concentric circles of worship in Revelation 5 help you to not lose heart today?
Pray for a grace to join the chorus of those who have their eyes opened to see and to sing that Jesus is the Son of God, who is worthy of all praise and glory and honor!