May 3, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: Bread in the Boat
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on May 5/6, “Bread in the Boat” (Mark 8:1–21). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The Bread Miracle (Mark 8:1–10)
- The Leaven of the Pharisees (Mark 8:11–13)
- Bread in the Boat (Mark 8:14–21)
Main Point: We have seen the signs. Do we have eyes to see yet?
- What are some of the similarities between the two bread miracles in Mark’s Gospel? (See Mark 6:30–44 and 8:1–10.)
- Why did Jesus react so strongly to the Pharisees asking for another sign?
- In Mark 8:14–21, why is the concluding scene of “Part 1” of this Gospel so fitting? How does it function as a summary and conclusion?
- Are there areas in your life where you find yourself doubting the power, wisdom, and goodness of the Lord Jesus? Where does the text hit home for you when it calls us to beware of the leaven of unbelief?
- Where have you seen Jesus at work in your life in the past? What have been the signs of his power and care and love? What current situation are you facing in which is he asking you to trust him again?
Pray for a grace to believe in the compassionate power of Jesus to save and sustain us in every fresh trial and challenge.