July 27, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: Be at Peace With One Another
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on July 28/29, “Be at Peace With One Another” (Mark 9:42–50). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- Don’t Cause a Christian to Stumble (Mark 9:42, 50)
- Because Eternal Punishment Is at Stake (Mark 9:42–50)
Main Point: Don’t exclude a fellow believer and cause him or her to stumble, because eternal punishment is at stake.
- How does verse 42 relate to verse 50? What kind of “sin” does Jesus call attention to in his warning to the disciples?
- Three words were used in the sermon to describe the suffering of hell. What were these words, and what do these three things come from in the text?
- What are the common objections to the existence of hell? Why is it important to be able to address them?
- Are you taking seriously enough the dangers of a proud, divisive spirit that excludes other believers? Are you taking it as seriously as Jesus takes it?
- Do the nature and wages of sin sober you sufficiently in your fight against sin?
- What can you take from this message and share with others in your life?
Pray for a grace to take as seriously as Jesus does the danger of causing a fellow believer to stumble. Pray for a grace to be at peace with one another.