April 24, 2020
Sermon Discussion Questions: A People Refined to Rejoice
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on April 26, “A People Refined to Rejoice” (1 Peter 1:6–9). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
Introduction: Paradigm of Sorrowful and Rejoicing
- Purposefulness of Our Trials (1 Peter 1:6)
- Proving of Our Faith Through Trials (1 Peter1:7a)
- Preciousness of Our Faith From Trials (1 Peter 1:7b–9)
Application: Set Free from Pain Management
- What does it mean to live in the paradigm of “sorrowful and rejoicing”? How does that free me to do both more fully?
- Why are trials necessary? How long should we expect them to last?
- What is God showing us about our faith in the midst of trials?
- How do trials refine our faith like gold is refined in the fire? Why is our faith so precious?
- Why will we receive“praise, glory, and honor” when Jesus appears?
- How does our refined faith produce refined rejoicing?