March 8, 2019
Sermon Discussion Questions: A Fig Tree Sandwich
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on March 10, “A Fig Tree Sandwich” (Mark 11:12–25). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- A. The Cursing of the Fig Tree: Prophetic Word (Mark 11:12–14)
B. The Cursing of the Fig Tree: Fulfillment (Mark 11:20–25)
- The Cursing of the Temple (Mark 11:15–19)
- Looking for figs on the fig tree is a parable—but what does it actually symbolize?
- Cursing the fig tree is also a parable—what does that symbolize?
- What action does Jesus take in the temple? What do his actions stop in terms of temple activity?
- Why does Jesus condemn what is happening in the temple? Which Old Testament texts does he cite? What does Jesus mean when he says they have made his Father’s house a “den of robbers”?
- The Jewish people were participating in the temple not to pursue God, but to hide from judgment and excuse their sinful behavior. How can those who claim to be Christians do something similar with the blood of Jesus?
- Are there sins in your life that you have become complacent about?
Pray for a grace to kill complacency and grow in zeal for holiness.