March 6, 2020
Sermon Discussion Questions: 20/20 Vision and Matthew 18
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on March 8, “20/20 Vision and Matthew 18” (Matthew 18:15–20). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- The Process (Matthew 18:15–17)
- The Promise (Matthew 18:18–20)
Main Point: The church is a gathered assembly of Jesus that has the keys of Jesus’ kingdom, the promise of Jesus’ guidance, and the power of Jesus’ presence.
- What is the process of church discipline in Matthew 18:15–17? What is the flow and focus of discipline?
- What is the function of the witnesses and the church?
In church discipline, what is the unified message that the members convey?
- How do the members send that message?
- What is the goal of church discipline?
- What is the promise of Jesus in church discipline?
- According to Hebrews 3:13, what is the calling of the congregation in terms of overseeing one another’s confession of faith?
- Prior to the sermon, what was your understanding of church discipline? What are your thoughts now? Were new observations made or new questions raised?
- How firm is your hold on your original confidence? (Hebrews 3:13) Have you been exhorted by anyone this week? If so, what did they say? If not, what do you wish someone would say to you?
- What part of this message do you need to share with someone this week? Is there someone you need to exhort?
Pray for a grace to watch over one another’s profession of faith in Christ Jesus.