August 30, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: '... Except for Sexual Immorality ...'
The following discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on September 1/2 “... Except for Sexual Immorality ...” (Matthew 19:7–9). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
Main Goal: Understand and appreciate the three views that people have on this text.
Outline in Three Steps
- Understand the Views
- Appreciate the Views
- Embrace the Savior
Step 1: Understand the Views
- Never Divorce/Never Remarriage
- Sometimes Divorce/Never Remarriage
- Sometimes Divorce/Sometimes Remarriage
From Each View:
a. What Is the Meaning of Porneia?
b. How Does the Exception Clause Function?
c. Why Are the Disciples So Shocked? (difference between rabbis and Jesus)
- Summarize the three main views on divorce and remarriage in Matthew 19:9.
- What does each view believe that Jesus means by the Greek word porneia?
- What does each view say about why the disciples are so shocked? How is Jesus different than the rabbis of his day?
- Which (if any) of the three views did you hold prior to this sermon? Which view is most persuasive to you and why?
- How can we grow in appreciating the people who disagree with us and hold a different view?
- Why is the hope of the gospel not compromised no matter which view you affirm?
Pray for a grace to uphold the hope of the gospel in this discussion and to show grace, patience, and love to those who disagree.