September 28, 2017
Notice for I-35W Drivers Sept 29–Oct 2 & Oct 6–9
To all those planning to drive on I-35W this weekend and next, take note that the interstate will be closed in both directions from I-94 in downtown to the Crosstown (Hwy 62) from 10pm Friday, Sept 29, through 5am Monday, Oct 2—and the following weekend as well (Oct 6–9, same highways and times). This will affect those driving to the Downtown Campus from the south.
Additionally, Twins, Vikings, and Gopher fans, and Twin Cities Marathon runners/supporters will also be making their way in and out of downtown Minneapolis this weekend. See Star Tribune article from Sept 26. See also MnDOT overview.
A few considerations …
- The MnDOT bypass to I-394 seems unlikely to be a good route for approaching the Downtown Campus from the south.
- Plan to come (significantly) early, as traffic and parking will worsen as the day goes on (especially for the 11am service).
- You may want to try alternative routes into downtown from the south, like Park Avenue or 11th Avenue (though these are also likely to be congested as the 11am service time approaches).
Bethlehem provides parking in the following lots:
- Main Lot – space is available for handicap and door drop off.
- Warehouse Lot – located west past the duplex on the south side off 7th Street.
- Professional Litho Lot – one block south of Bethlehem off 13th Avenue behind Professional Litho.
- Interstate (or “North”) Parking Lot – just north of Bethlehem next to the Bethlehem College & Seminary Library.
Parking attendants will be on hand on Oct 1 at all lots. They will have maps and an awareness of available spaces.
Street parking will probably be scarce and might not be available on 13th Avenue, 7th or 8th Streets.
Be patient ...
Concerning traffic, this will be an unusual Sunday!
- Consider carpooling or taking public transportation.
- Don’t try to park or drop off passengers at the 13th Avenue church entrance. Between services, that area will be very challenging to exit if 7th Street becomes congested.
- If you normally attend the Sunday 11am service, consider attending the 9am instead.
- Consider attending the Saturday evening service instead.
- Consider attending a Sunday service North (9am or 11am) or South (10:30am) instead.
Godspeed, Downtown Campus!