September 1, 2021
Hurricane Ida Disaster Response Update
Hurricane Ida caused great devastation in the South with high winds, rising waters, uprooted trees, flooding, power outages, and devastation to homes and other property. We are working with friends and churches to bring supplies and teams to assist in the relief work and the rebuilding of homes. Currently, we are hoping to bring a trailer filled with supplies down to Louisiana on Friday, September 10, and stay for 4–6 days to help. Then, Lord willing, we plan to bring teams down over the next year.
Sixteen years ago this August, Hurricane Katrina hit, and over the following year we sent many teams down to help those in need. We are hoping to do the same thing for those in need following Hurricane Ida. Below is a list of supplies we are working to obtain in coordination with Jubilee Community Church, a church plant from Bethlehem in South Minneapolis. If you are able to help by donating any of the supplies listed below, that would be much appreciated.
Highest Priority Items
- Portable Battery packs for cell phones
- Duct tape
- Hygiene Items (especially items not needing water, like wet wipes)
- Cleaning supplies
- Diesel fuel, gasoline, and gas cans
- Heavy-duty trash bags
- Diapers, formula, and other baby supplies
- Baby food
- Non-perishable food supplies
Other Donations Needed
- Lumber (2x4 and plywood)
- Bug spray
- Magnet roller (to pick up nails)
- Heavy-duty extension cords
- First aid items
- Generators are always welcome (power may be out for months in some areas)
- Chain saws
Thank you for any help you can give us. See drop off details below ...
- Downtown: On Sunday, September 5, you may drop off items at the Downtown Campus near the main entrance on the parking-lot side of the building. (After Sunday, you may bring items Downtown through Wednesday, September 8.)
- North: Donations will be collected near the Info Booth on Sunday, September 5, or you may drop things off at the offices (Door F) this week through Wednesday, September 8.
- South: A collection area will be set up near the Welcome Desk on Sunday, September 5, or you may drop things off at the offices (East doors) Tuesday–Wednesday, 9am–3pm.
- Jubilee Community Church: Drop off items September 7–9. To coordinate your drop-off time at Jubilee, please contact Jessica Wills (612-791-1816).
If you have an interest in traveling to New Orleans to help with cleanup, please contact Ron Powell or Brad Nelson.
Update on September 2: If you wish to contribute financially, you can give Disaster Relief Donations online through a designated Bethlehem fund.