August 25, 2017
Consider Becoming a Titus 2 Mentor to a Young Woman
This Fall, Bethlehem Women’s Ministry is providing training for women who would like to be mentors. Why might you consider mentoring? Here are a few good reasons ...
Teaching and training younger women is a biblical mandate for older women.
Titus 2:3–5 says, “Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.”
God knew we would need some training in “what is good,” so he called the older, more spiritually mature women to teach younger Christian women. This means all kinds of women: single, married, divorced, widowed, professionals, homemakers. I have needed older women to lead me along, to encourage me in studying the Bible, to point me to Jesus, to love me like Jesus, and to help me with the challenge of everyday living. And I hope that I, in turn, can help younger women find encouragement and help in being all that God has called them to be.
God equips those he calls to the task of mentoring.
- He created us in his image!
- He redeemed us!
- He gave us examples in the Bible of mentoring: Sarah, Naomi, Elizabeth.
- He gave us Jesus, our ultimate example, and Paul who mentored Timothy as a son in the Lord.
- He gave us gifts to use to bless and build the body of Christ, especially gifting women to minister to other women.
- He is providing training and equipping opportunities through Women’s Ministry this Fall.
If you are an older woman (age 40+), would you prayerfully consider coming to learn about our Titus 2 mentoring ministry? Three training sessions at the Downtown Campus will be held this Fall to equip you. (New mentors must attend both the September and October sessions.)
- Thursdays, Sept 14 & Oct 12, 5:30–8:30pm (supper at 5:30pm)
- Thursday, Nov 9, 7–9pm (special guest speaker Janet Aucoin on Discernment)
- Register by September 7.
- Partnering in Titus 2 shares the load and increases the joy. Many women attend the training with a friend and consider mentoring younger women together.
- Attending the training does not obligate you to participate in the ministry.
Here is one comment from a current Bethlehem Titus 2 mentor:
It has been a wonderful experience as we have bonded together, learned and grown together, and cried together—sharing fun times as well as hard times. I have grown close to these young women, and God has blessed me through them. It has been a time of growth for myself as God has shown me that his power is made strong through my weakness.
Subscribe to the Women’s Blog.