October 31, 2017
All-Church Quarterly Strategy Meeting (October 29, 2017)
Meeting Highlights ...
- Devotional from Pastor Jason Meyer
- Membership Report
- Church Discipline Matters
- Presentation of Motion to Amend Constitution & Bylaws
- Treasurer’s Report
- “Fill These Cities: 25 x ’25” Update
Pastor Jason gave a devotional on church discipline.
- Church discipline that is practiced biblically on earth has been worked in heaven (Matthew 16:19).
- Don’t fall into the ditch of not doing church discipline (1 Corinthians 5), and don’t fall into the ditch of not forgiving once church discipline has been practiced and repentance has been granted (2 Corinthians 2:5–8).
- Church discipline is a test of obedience (2 Corinthians 2:9).
- The underlying promise in church discipline is the presence of Jesus (Matthew 18:20; 1 Corinthians 5:3–4; 2 Corinthians 2:10).
At the end of the meeting, Bethlehem membership stood at 2,679 members.
Church Discipline Matters
“Tell it to the church” (Matthew 18:17): The elders informed the congregation of recent developments in a case of church discipline.
In another case, the elders proposed a motion to dismiss a member for unrepentant sin. The motion carried without opposition.
Presentation of Motion to Amend Constitution & Bylaws
Elder Brian Tabb presented proposed amendments to the Constitution & Bylaws, especially the following:
- Language regarding the role of elder-pastor
- Removing the ratio of non-staff elders to staff elders
FAQs will be soon coming to clarify aspects of this motion.
Adam Sexton delivered the Treasurer’s Report to the assembly.
YTD 2017 Summary
- Up $1.3M from 2016 when giving $6.30M
- 21% increase over 2016 giving
- Up $100K when compared to 2016 spending for the same period
- $628K below YTD 2017 budget
- Continued strong giving will help lower the eventual South mortgage
- Giving was $7.63M
- Spending was $7.15M
- Giving exceeded spending by $481K
‘Fill These Cities: 25 x ’25’ Update
Church Planting: Cleon Engel provided an update on our church planting efforts and approved church plants:
- Ryan Eagy in Boise, Idaho
- Adam Pohlman in Rochester, Minnesota
South Campus: Pastor Chuck Steddom provided an update on South Campus construction.
- Groundwork has begun.
- Pray for favorable weather and favor with the local community.
Unengaged People Groups: Pastor Todd Rasmuson provided an update on our missionary efforts among the unengaged.
Strengthening the Core: Pastors Ken Currie (Downtown) and Steven Lee (North) provided updates from their respective campuses.
- Pastor Ken highlighted specific aspects of strengthening the core at the Downtown Campus, namely the formation of diaconal teams, and also mentioned the upcoming Dave Ramsey “Smart Money” simulcast next Tuesday, November 7, North and South.
- Pastor Steven Lee addressed Jack Delk’s retirement as North Campus Pastor for Care and Counseling. He also asked for prayer that God would provide Pastor Jack’s successor.
Thanks to Church Clerks Jacob Smith and Ben Holvey for their assistance in preparing this update.