Though there may be some variations, here is the basic schedule of a baptism service at Bethlehem:
- The pastor will meet with baptism candidates 30–45 minutes before the service starts. Candidates will change into a baptism robe (provided).
- At the beginning of the baptism service, the pastor will say a devotional word about baptism.
- The pastor will ask the candidates to join him at the front to share their names, their testimonies, and why they want to be baptized. (Many services use a pre-recorded testimony video in the baptism service.)
- The candidates will join the pastor one at a time in the water.
- The pastor will ask the following questions of each candidate:
The pastor will then immerse the candidate after saying, “On the profession of your faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and in obedience to his command, I now baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”After everyone has been baptized, the pastor generally will invite people to come forward to pray for those just baptized.The pastor closes with prayer.
- Are you now trusting in Jesus Christ alone for the forgiveness of your sins and the fulfillment of all God's promises to you, even eternal life?
- Do you forsake Satan and all his works and all his ways?
- Do you intend with God’s help to obey Jesus’ teaching and follow him as your Lord?