Apply for this job
Job Description for Lead Administrative Assistant, Downtown
In dependence on God, the aim of all Lead Administrative Assistant positions at Bethlehem are to wholeheartedly glorify Jesus Christ, seeking to spread a passion for the supremacy of God in all things for the joy of all peoples through Jesus Christ by helping to facilitate a smooth running office, providing administrative support to their specific area of ministry, and general support to the needs of the church office. Lead Administrative Assistants shall maintain a Christian spirit of love and service toward the Bethlehem staff, congregation, and those we serve, in accordance with the church’s vision and philosophy of ministry.
In areas of responsibilities, work to provide clear, concise communication to the pastors and staff and the congregation as needed. This may include campus specific priorities, targets, and goals, or broader all church needs.
Lead Role Responsibilities:
Help the Pastor for Preaching & Vision, Downtown and the Director for Human Resources & Office Management to facilitate a smooth running office by:
- Modeling productivity and flexible service to the pastoral staff and other campus leadership.
- Facilitate the collaboration of administrative assistants to maximize the overall administrative support at the campus.
- Advocating for Administrative Assistants as necessary.
- Assisting with the campus orientation and training of new Administrative Assistants.
- Recommending new administrative systems and procedures, and/or best practices as appropriate.
- Serving as a main point of contact for information, activities, and ministries at each campus (campus staff and all church staff).
Specific Responsibilities for Area of Ministry:
- Provide administrative assistance and project management to the Pastor for Preaching & Vision, Downtown, seeking to reduce or more effectively manage workflow, help organize workload, and create more efficient systems of organization to maximize his time and ministry.
- Field questions on behalf of Pastor for Preaching & Vision, Downtown and redirect to campus staff as needed.
- Work to ensure strong communication to the Downtown staff and congregation.
- Prepare the pastoral Downtown weekly email for the communications team.
- Downtown Staff Meetings:
- Create calendar invitations and room reservations for Downtown staff and pastor meetings.
- Take minutes at Downtown staff and pastor meetings.
- Track and follow-up on action items from the meetings.
- Downtown Elders:
- Create calendar invitations and room reservations for Downtown elder meetings.
- Create and edit Downtown elder meeting agendas as needed.
- Provides administrative support as needed for the Downtown Elders.
- Follow-up on action items from the meetings as needed.
- Process check requests for the Preaching & Vision, Downtown.
- Monitor and track budget targets for the Downtown Campus accounts overseen by the Pastor for Preaching & Vision, Downtown.
- Campus Needs:
- Update the Pastor’s Weekend Worship Google spreadsheet for the Downtown Campus as needed.
- Manage Downtown Campus Google groups.
- First point of contact for Downtown Campus funerals. Serve as admin overseeing the funeral or ensure another is doing so.
- Serve as a Teller as needed for QSMs.
- Coordinate the fall Ministry Fair.
- Manage the membership removal process.
- All Church:
- Consolidate all member removal information for QSMs.
- Plan the Staff Day Away and the All Staff Christmas parties with the other Lead Admins.
- Oversee the all-church The Calendar with the other Lead Admins.
- Perform administrative assistant tasks, including but not limited to:
- Word processing
- Database management
- Research projects
- Preparing/creating promotional materials as needed
- Running errands as necessary
- Encouraging and assisting congregational members in particular area of responsibility
- Use and support accuracy in the church database as needed.
- Participate in staff meetings required for this position.
- Cross-train with other support staff as needed.
- Answer phone and door in absence of Receptionist and any other duties as requested by the Director for Human Resources & Office Management.
- The Lead Administrative Assistant will carry out such other duties as may be assigned by the church from time to time.
- Model servant leadership and exhibit a helpful, joyful attitude.
- Sustain a vital, growing relationship with the Lord through personal and corporate worship, study of God’s Word, prayer, and regular, ongoing fellowship with believers at Bethlehem.
- Seek to do duties in the power of the Holy Spirit, undergirded with prayer, guided by the Scriptures, and manifesting the character of Christ for the glory of God.
- Be a member in good standing of Bethlehem Baptist Church or, if not a member when called to the church, become a member as soon as possible, ideally completing the membership process within three (3) months of the date that employment begins.
- While ensuring first loyalty is to God and the Word, support the leadership of the church generally and specifically for one’s area of ministry. Strive to maintain positive and fruitful relationships with other Bethlehem employees, members, and leaders. While concerns or differences of opinion may arise, all employees will communicate in a biblical manner and abide by appropriate supervisory direction and any final determinations of the Council of Elders.
Organizational Skill and Awareness
- Have the vision and organizational skills necessary to work effectively within the context of a large church with multiple staff members and ministries.
- Recognize volunteers as valuable co-laborers in ministry and will be proactive, prayerful, and persistent in recruiting for the role (as applicable).
- Strictly maintain appropriate confidentiality according to the guidelines set forth in Bethlehem’s Employee Handbook and Relational Commitments.
- Sign our Employee Handbook Acknowledgement Form and comply with all applicable church policies.
- Give servant-hearted support to specific area(s) of ministry as well as to the broader needs of Bethlehem’s church office and ministry.
Self-Motivated and Dependable
- Demonstrate a commitment to growth by attending appropriate training, development, and team-building events.
- Have a good understanding of the people, projects, or ministry under the role responsibilities. Demonstrate faithfulness and good follow-through both in collaboration with other ministry partners and in independent efforts related to the role.
- Attend, participate in, and encourage participation in Downtown Campus worship.
Should be …
- A self-starter and an initiative-taker
- Detail oriented
- Able to manage stressful situations
- Familiar with Bethlehem ministry values, ethos, and priorities
- Eager to serve in both humble, unseen and visible, discernable ways
- Proactive in communicating with others on a team
Should have …
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent administrative skills
- Computer competence
- Team orientation, collaborating well with others
- Strong creative and conceptual thinking
- In-depth problem solving and follow-through skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment within established guidelines
- Ability to work well under direct supervision or independently with minimal instruction
- Ability to manage details and priorities under the pressure of tight deadlines and multiple projects
- Demonstrated leadership skills