Apply for this job
Job Description for Custodian
- Perform all custodial duties assigned. This may include:
- Maintain daily cleanliness in the building and surrounding grounds using prescribed procedures, supplies and equipment, and exercising safety consciousness at all times. This includes, but is not limited to, cleaning bathrooms, sweeping, dusting, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning windows, emptying and carrying out trash, and outside work during all times of the year.
- Set up and tear down events.
- Be security conscious regarding persons entering church properties. Assist the receptionists with security issues presented by guests to the church.
- Perform minor maintenance based on ability and availability of resources. Report necessary major facilities or systems repairs to the Coordinator of Facility Infrastructure. Assist as requested.
- Be proactive by being aware of facility and event needs, and using initiative in determining the best way to accomplish the goal.
- Ensure check-in kiosks are ready for congregational use for Connections and weekend services and any other events specified.
- Work in close coordination with other custodians and staff to ensure all requirements are met.
- Train newly hired custodial staff.
- Be responsive to other church staff needs.
- In the absence of direct supervision, be able to prioritize responsibilities and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Provide coffee or beverage services as requested.
- Attend scheduled staff luncheons (full-time).
- Other duties as assigned.
In dependence on God, the aim of all Custodial positions at The North Church is to wholeheartedly glorify Jesus Christ, seeking to spread a passion for the supremacy of God in all things for the joy of all peoples through Jesus Christ by caring for our facilities and supporting our events. Custodians shall maintain a Christian spirit of love and service toward the Bethlehem staff, congregation, and those we serve, in accordance with the church’s vision and philosophy of ministry.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Seek to sustain a vital, growing relationship with the Lord through personal and corporate worship, study of God’s Word, prayer, and regular, ongoing fellowship with believers at The North Church.
- Model servant leadership and exhibit a helpful, joyful attitude.
- Be an individual of prayer and of the Word, sensitive to what the Spirit is saying to The North Church, devoted to daily prayer and Bible reading for the sake of being guarded from sin and stirring up one’s heart and mind to renewed passion for Christ. Gladly participate in mutual care and accountability with other believers.
- Seek to do duties in the power of the Holy Spirit, undergirded with prayer, guided by the Scriptures, and manifesting the character of Christ for the glory of God.
- Be a member in good standing of The North Church or, if not a member when called to the church, become a member as soon as possible, ideally completing the membership process within three (3) months of the date that employment begins.
- While ensuring first loyalty is to God and the Word, support the leadership of the church generally and specifically for one’s area of ministry. Strive to maintain positive and fruitful relationships with other employees, members, and leaders. While concerns or differences of opinion may arise, all employees will communicate in a biblical manner and abide by appropriate supervisory direction and any final determinations of the Council of Elders. Whether completing daily tasks or submitting to those in authority, the Custodian will do so in a joyful manner.
Organizational Skill and Awareness
- Have the vision and organizational skills necessary to work effectively, creatively, and flexibly within the context of a church with multiple staff members and ministries.
- Strictly maintain appropriate confidentiality according to the guidelines set forth in our Employee Handbook and Relational Commitments.
- Sign our Employee Handbook Acknowledgement Form and comply with all applicable church policies.
- Give servant-hearted support to specific area(s) of ministry as well as to the broader needs of our ministry.
Self-Motivated and Dependable
- Demonstrate a commitment to personal growth by attending appropriate training, development, and team-building events.
- Have a good understanding of the people, projects, or ministry under the role responsibilities. Demonstrate faithfulness and good follow-through both in collaboration with other ministry partners and in independent efforts related to the role.
- Have the ability to physically perform the responsibilities of the job, including lifting a maximum of 50 lbs. on a regular basis, working with cleaning chemicals, being on one’s feet for long periods of time, and being able to bend, stoop, lift, and carry various objects throughout a normal day.
- Have enough physical stamina to enable working at a steady pace for up to 4 hours at a time without a break.
- Some previous level of familiarity with basic custodial responsibilities is preferred, but not required.
- Some previous level of familiarity with basic maintenance procedures is preferred, but not required.
Personal & Ministry Skills
Should be …
- A self-starter and an initiative-taker
- Detail oriented
Should have …
- Servant heart
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Energy and stamina
- Team orientation—collaborate well with others
- Ability to work well under direct supervision or independently
- Strong problem solving skills