Apply for this job
Job Description Administrative Assistant for Small Groups, Downtown
- Reporting to Pastor for Small Groups, Downtown, and Pastors for Worship, Downtown
- Working from Downtown Campus
- Working 40 Hours per Week; Full time
In dependence on God, the aim of all Administrative Assistant positions at Bethlehem is to wholeheartedly glorify Jesus Christ, seeking to spread a passion for the supremacy of God in all things for the joy of all peoples through Jesus Christ by providing administrative support to their specific area of ministry, and general support to the needs of the church office. Administrative Assistants shall maintain a Christian spirit of love and service toward the Bethlehem staff, congregation, and those we serve, in accordance with the church’s vision and philosophy of ministry.
Specific Responsibilities for Area of Ministry:
- Adult Discipleship, Downtown:
- Assist the Pastor for Small Groups, Downtown with scheduling, communication (mail, email, and phone messages), agenda creation, tracking, and other duties as assigned (attending meetings, setting up interviews, conducting research, conducting surveys, brainstorming ideas, etc).
- Support the adult classroom education for the Downtown Campus; primarily Adult Sunday School, and weekend seminars (vetting and approval, room scheduling, teacher support, etc).
- Ensure Adult Discipleship materials are supplied for display, when needed (business cards, posters, etc).
- In coordination with Communications Ministry, keep Adult Discipleship ministries information up to date on the church website.
- Provide administrative assistance and oversight to the membership and baptism process at the Downtown Campus by:
- Coordinating and scheduling Membership and Baptism classes.
- Assigning and tracking elder interview assignments and keeping the pipeline moving efficiently.
- Updating the church database after baptism and membership services.
- Assisting the Pastor for Preaching & Vision, Downtown by checking in with inactive Downtown members.
- Assisting the Pastor for Preaching & Vision, Downtown by balancing the membership rolls, compiling membership reports, and updating the church database after Strategy Meetings.
- Small Groups, Downtown:
- Assist in creating and tracking the Small Group budget (SG1).
- Assist in creating and editing small group documents, memos, training materials and proposals.
- Provide administrative support and coordination for trainings for current and new small group leaders (Lead Table, Leader Dinners, Appreciation Dinner, etc) and other small group events.
- In coordination with the Pastor for Small Groups, Downtown, serve as a main point of contact for Downtown Small Group Leaders.
- Distribute the sermon discussion questions to all Small Group Leaders.
- Assist the congregation in finding available Small Groups.
- Work with Downtown Small Group Leaders to keep updated group information in the church database.
- Train new Small Group Leaders how to update their group’s profile.
Perform all worship and music related administrative tasks assigned for the Downtown Campus including, but not limited to:
- Oversee the Downtown event planning program and database (Planning Center Online).
- Providing scheduling and correspondence regarding Downtown worship service participants (staff, musicians, pastors, elders, readers, choral/ensemble volunteers).
- Oversee the communion ministry (preparation, coordinators/point persons, and servers).
- Cultivate relationships between the Downtown worship pastor/department, broader Bethlehem staff team and congregation, and non-Bethlehem entities.
- Assist the Pastors for Worship, Downtown in the managing of the Downtown worship budget and purchases.
- Provide administrative assistance for non-weekend Downtown worship events (i.e. holiday events, seminars, Wednesday Connection services, etc.).
- Perform administrative assistant tasks, including but not limited to:
- Word processing
- Database management
- Research projects
- Preparing/creating promotional materials as needed
- Running errands as necessary
- Encouraging and assisting congregational members in particular area of responsibility
- Use and support accuracy in the church database as needed.
- Participate in staff meetings required for this position.
- Cross-train with other support staff as needed.
- Answer phone and door in absence of Receptionist and any other duties as requested by the Director for Human Resources & Office Management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- The Administrative Assistant will carry out such other duties as may be assigned by the church from time to time.
- Model servant leadership and exhibit a helpful, joyful attitude.
- Sustain a vital, growing relationship with the Lord through personal and corporate worship, study of God’s Word, prayer, and regular, ongoing fellowship with believers at Bethlehem.
- Seek to do duties in the power of the Holy Spirit, undergirded with prayer, guided by the Scriptures, and manifesting the character of Christ for the glory of God.
- Be a member in good standing of Bethlehem Baptist Church or, if not a member when called to the church, become a member as soon as possible, ideally completing the membership process within three (3) months of the date that employment begins.
- While ensuring first loyalty is to God and the Word, support the leadership of the church generally and specifically for one’s area of ministry. Strive to maintain positive and fruitful relationships with other Bethlehem employees, members, and leaders. While concerns or differences of opinion may arise, all employees will communicate in a biblical manner and abide by appropriate supervisory direction and any final determinations of the Council of Elders.
Organizational Skill and Awareness
- Have the vision and organizational skills necessary to work effectively within the context of a large church with multiple staff members and ministries.
- Recognize volunteers as valuable co-laborers in ministry and will be proactive, prayerful, and persistent in recruiting for the role (as applicable).
- Strictly maintain appropriate confidentiality according to the guidelines set forth in Bethlehem’s Employee Handbook and Relational Commitments.
- Sign our Employee Handbook Acknowledgement Form and comply with all applicable church policies.
- Give servant-hearted support to specific area(s) of ministry as well as to the broader needs of Bethlehem’s church office and ministry.
Self-Motivated and Dependable
- Demonstrate a commitment to growth by attending appropriate training, development, and team-building events.
- Have a good understanding of the people, projects, or ministry under the role responsibilities. Demonstrate faithfulness and good follow-through both in collaboration with other ministry partners and in independent efforts related to the role.
- Attend, participate in, and encourage participation in Downtown Campus worship.
Should be …
- A self-starter and an initiative-taker
- Detail oriented
- Able to manage stressful situations
- Familiar with Bethlehem ministry values, ethos, and priorities
- Eager to serve in both humble, unseen and visible, discernable ways
- Proactive in communicating with others on a team
Should have …
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent administrative skills
- Computer competence
- Team orientation, collaborating well with others
- Strong creative and conceptual thinking
- In-depth problem solving and follow-through skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment within established guidelines
- Ability to work well under direct supervision or independently with minimal instruction
- Ability to manage details and priorities under the pressure of tight deadlines and multiple projects
- Demonstrated leadership skills