In dependence on God, the aim of all Custodial positions at Bethlehem is to wholeheartedly glorify Jesus Christ, seeking to spread a passion for the supremacy of God in all things for the joy of all peoples through Jesus Christ by caring for our facilities, and supporting our events. Custodians shall maintain a Christian spirit of love and service toward the Bethlehem staff, congregation, and those we serve, in accordance with the church’s vision and philosophy of ministry.
Qualifications & Requirements
- The Custodian will sustain a vital, growing relationship with the Lord through personal and corporate worship, study of God’s Word, prayer, and regular, ongoing fellowship with believers at Bethlehem.
- The Custodian will seek to undertake his duties in the power of the Holy Spirit, undergirded with prayer, guided by the Scriptures, and manifesting the character of Christ for the glory of God.
- The Custodian must be a member in good standing of Bethlehem Baptist Church or, if not a member when called to the church, he/she will become a member as soon as possible, ideally completing the membership process within three (3) months of the date his employment begins.
- While ensuring that his/her first loyalty is to God and the Word, the Custodian will support the leadership of the church generally and specifically that of their area of ministry. The Custodian will strive to maintain positive and fruitful relationships with other Bethlehem employees, members, and leaders. While concerns or differences of opinion may arise, the Custodian will communicate in a biblical manner and abide by appropriate supervisory direction and any final determinations of the Council of Elders.
- The Custodian will strictly maintain appropriate confidentiality according to the guidelines set forth in Bethlehem’s Employee Handbook..
- The Custodian must sign our Employee Handbook Acknowledgement Form and must comply with all applicable church policies.
- The Custodian will have the ability to physically perform the responsibilities of the job, including lifting a maximum of 50 lbs. on a regular basis, working with cleaning chemicals, being on your feet for long periods of time, and being able to bend, stoop, lift, and carry various objects throughout a normal day.
- The Custodian will have enough physical stamina to enable working at a steady pace for up to 4 hours at a time without a break.
- Some previous level of familiarity with basic custodial responsibilities is preferred, but not required.
- Some previous level of familiarity with basic maintenance procedures is preferred, but not required.
Personal & Ministry Skills
Should be …
- A self-starter and an initiative-taker
- Detail oriented
Should have …
- Servant heart
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Energy and stamina
- Team orientation—collaborate well with others
- Ability to work well under direct supervision or independently
- Strong problem solving skills
Essential Ministry Responsibilities
- Perform all custodial duties assigned, including:
- Maintain daily cleanliness in the buildings and their grounds using prescribed procedures, supplies and equipment, and exercising safety consciousness at all times. This includes, but is not limited to, cleaning bathrooms, sweeping, dusting, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning windows, emptying and carrying out trash, and outside work during all times of the year.
- Set up and tear down of events.
- Being security conscious regarding persons entering church properties. Assisting the receptionists with security issues presented by guests to the church.
- Performing minor maintenance based on ability and availability of resources.
- Being proactive by being aware of facility and event needs, and using initiative in determining the best way to accomplish the goal.
- Insuring check-in kiosks are ready for congregational use for Connections and weekend services.
- Working in close coordination with other custodians and staff to ensure all requirements are met.
- Training newly hired custodial staff.
- Being responsive to other Bethlehem staff’s needs.
- In the absence of direct supervision, being able to prioritize responsibilities and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Attend scheduled staff luncheons (full-time).
- Other duties as assigned.